The Seteais Palace is a neoclassical royal residence situated in Sintra, Portugal. It is presently a top luxury 5-star hotel, eatery and a vacation destination incorporated into the Cultural Landscape of Sintra, recorded as World Heritage Site by UNESCO, one of the most romantic places in Europe.
The Seteais Palace was built somewhere around 1783 and 1787 for the Dutch consul Daniel Gildemeester, on terrains conceded by the Marquis of Pombal. The representative based his home on the outskirt of a height, from which the endless scene around the Sintra slopes could be appreciated. The palace was encompassed with an expansive greenery enclosure with natural product trees.
In 1797, a few years after the emissary’s demise, his dowager sold the palace to Diogo José Vito de Menezes Noronha Coutinho, fifth Marquis of Marialva. The palace was developed somewhere around 1801 and 1802, most likely by neoclassical engineer José da Costa e Silva, creator of the São Carlos Theater in Lisbon. The palace was transformed into a symmetrical U-formed building, with the diplomat’s home getting to be one of its wings. The cornice of the structures that form the principle façade was brightened with normal neoclassical themes like vases, busts and reliefs of laurels. The patio nurseries of the palace were renovated taking after sentimental patterns.
The old and the new wings were associated in 1802 by a neoclassical curve, built to pay tribute to King John VI and Princess Carlota Joaquina, who went to the palace in that year. The stupendous curve, embellished with the bronze models of the regal pair and a memorial Latin engraving, is ascribed to draftsman Francisco Leal Garcia.
The dividers of a few inward rooms of the palace were brightened with frescos ascribed to French painter Jean Pillement and his devotees. Painted themes incorporate intriguing vegetation and fanciful characters, ordinary of the neoclassical taste. The palace had a place with Joao Fernando Salazar e Bragança Since 1890-1910.
Subsequent to changing hands a few times, the castle was acquired by the Portuguese government in 1946. The Seteais Palace has been utilized as an extravagant hotel since 1954 however its unique qualities have been safeguarded.